Broken Kode Discussion Forums

A place to talk about the Rin and Manji themes

You are not logged in.

#1 02-08-2005 13:11:26

Goose

Keep left menu-box on subpages

Rin got a nice 2 column layout, however, when going into subpages, such as an entries own page, it falls down to a single column look. I'm kinda a rookie (well okay, worthless) when it comes to PHP but been looking into it.

From the mainpage, the links to the entries looks like this; ?p=2, which is a link to the default page with the querystring p=2. Default page being index.php this is where my problems begin. At the third line of the index.php file of the Rin theme you'll find this string <?php include('sidebar.php'); ?>, outside of any if's or such which would make the including of the sidebar based on any user input.

Am I looking in the wrong direction? Where do I have to look to be able to include the second column into all the pages?

Best Regards
Emil

Edit: Pages as in WP Pages has the left menu column left, this is how I want the journal post and other pages like the category page to look like.

Last edited by Goose (02-08-2005 13:17:08)

#2 02-08-2005 22:03:10

Steph
Website

Re: Keep left menu-box on subpages

What you need to do is edit the post template (or category, archives). Make sure the top of it looks like this:

<?php include "header.php"; ?>
  <div id="container" class="clearfix">
<?php get_sidebar(); ?>

<div id="topcontent"></div>
  <div id="content"> <--changed from singlecontent to content
    <div class="clearer"> </div>
   <div class="post">
   <?php if (have_posts()) : while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
    <div class="postnavigation">

It should be something like that, that's what I'm using on the category template to have the sidebar appear there, same for the archives template. However if you try to get the sidebar on the post template, the comments box will get screwed up because of the width issues. Also make sure you have the closing </div> at the bottom so every div that is opened is also closed.

Last edited by Steph (02-08-2005 22:03:31)

#3 23-08-2005 11:56:54

Brian

Steph wrote:

What you need to do is edit the post template (or category, archives). Make sure the top of it looks like this:

<?php include "header.php"; ?>
  <div id="container" class="clearfix">
<?php get_sidebar(); ?>

<div id="content"> <--changed from singlecontent to content
    <div class="clearer"> </div>
   <div class="post">
   <?php if (have_posts()) : while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
    <div class="postnavigation">

It should be something like that, that's what I'm using on the category template to have the sidebar appear there, same for the archives template. However if you try to get the sidebar on the post template, the comments box will get screwed up because of the width issues. Also make sure you have the closing </div> at the bottom so every div that is opened is also closed.

Where you have

it should be

<div id="topcontentdouble"></div>

At least that is how I have it.

The problem I am having is it works great in Safari and Firefox, but when I use it in Internet Explorer, the post won't stop until after the sidebar ends. I'm still trying to figure that one out

#4 09-09-2005 03:20:53

flipthedolphin

Dudes, I cannot get it to work!
I'm using the rin theme on my home-based server and whenever I do the above changes I get the comment stuff completely screwed up!

Someone got it to actually work the right way???

#5 09-09-2005 07:33:41

flipthedolphin

Ok, managed to get this stuff working!
I took a look at the pages code and then I had to shrink down a bit the comment box via the CSS. Also modified a little the comment.php file.

Last edited by flipthedolphin (15-11-2005 11:04:26)

#6 15-11-2005 10:49:01

Farooq

Hi I wanted to know if there was a way to fix how internet explorer shows the posts at the bottom of the sidebar rather than putting them up top.  I'm not sure what's going wrong, I used the above suggestions and it is working fine in Fire Fox but not in IE

#7 15-11-2005 11:45:34

MacManX
Website

Without a link to your blog, it's hard to tell what's wrong.  But, when this happens, it usually means that either an image in the sidebar is wider than the sidebar, or an image in a post is wider than the post area.

Disclaimer: I am a forum volunteer.  I only represent Rin as a user and reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at anytime.  The opinions stated in my postings are not necessarily those of Khaled Abou Alfa or his affiliates.

MacManX.com

#8 17-11-2005 13:03:12

beev
Website

Or you might need to reduce your margins by a pixel or two. It seems IE interprets certain things in a slightly different way and I think margins maybe one of them.

Btw, can anyone explain the difference between margins & padding, and do they mean different things to different browsers?

#9 17-11-2005 21:54:05

MacManX
Website

I barely understand it myself.  The way I look at it is that margin is more of an absolute value, and padding is more of a relative value.  Basically:

Margin = "This object goes here."

Padding = "This object should always be surrounded by at least 'x' pixels of empty space."

Disclaimer: I am a forum volunteer.  I only represent Rin as a user and reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at anytime.  The opinions stated in my postings are not necessarily those of Khaled Abou Alfa or his affiliates.

MacManX.com

#10 24-12-2005 03:01:06

William

something's wrong with my comment box after putting the sidebar on every subpages. can some tell me how can i resolve this problem? any help will be greatly appreciated

http://www.importsecret.com/?p=4

Board footer