Broken Kode Discussion Forums

A place to talk about the Rin and Manji themes

You are not logged in.

#1 15-09-2005 15:57:09

rbilsbor

Optimizing Rin Width for 1024x instead of 800x?

Love the Rin theme, and I've pretty much changed everything that I want to change about it at my site, with one exception: I'd like it to be WIDER.  I want to essentially have the theme optimized for a minimum res of 1024X768 instead of 800X600.  I did a search and saw that one person is working on a variable width version, but I just want to keep it fixed--just widening the main column.

I've spent lots of time mucking about in the files but I'm really clueless when it comes down to it--I know NO code whatsoever, everything I've changed so far has been tireless experimentation.  Has anyone out there done this, and if so, could you tell me what all needs to be changed?  Thanks so much--any help is greatly appreciated.

Ryan
www.nofilmschool.com

Last edited by rbilsbor (15-09-2005 15:58:33)

#2 18-09-2005 09:39:21

beev
Website

Re: Optimizing Rin Width for 1024x instead of 800x?

Yo rbilsbor,

I just took a look at your site. It looks cool with your changes so far, but I thought you might like to know that it doesn't display properly on my system (which is, admittedly, quite archaic). I use Mac OS X 10.2 with the basic version of Safari (browser). The header & sidebar are fine, but the content is appearing directly on top of the footer. There are only three lines of content visible and the rest is cut off. Oh well, probably not much you can do about that if you don't have a Mac to check it on.

As for making it wider: if you want to do that, you should edit the css file. You need to change:

#hnav {
width: 750px;

#masthead {

#container {

#topcontentdouble {
width: 500px;

#content {

#bottomcontentdouble {

#menu {

#footer {

That should be about it. Obviously, if you are changing 750 to 1000, then you would be changing 500 to 750. You can also change the width of the sidebar in the css, so you could go for 1000, 650 & 300 (for the sidebar) (the other 50 is used up in margins & stuff).

If you're changing stuff, it's best to check your changes on as many different platforms/browsers as you can. I check every change I make on Mac/Safari and on a PC using both IE and Firefox. The results of a change are often different depending on what you use to view the site!

Also, remember to back-up files before you change them in case something goes wrong.

#3 18-09-2005 22:36:34

rbilsbor

Thanks a lot beev!  I'm going to get to this soon--thanks so much for helping.

I have been told that my site doesn't display on Safari correctly.  I'm afraid that when I changed the post title formatting--because long titles were overruning, I switched them to inline instead of block--that I messed up the safari compatibility.  Which is weird, since it works fine on netscape, IE, mozilla, etc.

When I get my hands on a mac one of these days I'll mess around with the CSS to see if I can fix it--I'm clueless with code though, so probably not.

Question--and this may be the most basic, stupid one:  is there a way to create some sort of "staging" blog, where you can mess with your blog's appearance but not have it affect the actual site that people may be visiting at that moment?

Thanks for your help, again.

#4 04-10-2005 03:39:53

beev
Website

It should be quite easy to set up a test version of your blog. The most foolproof way is probably to just copy all of the files into a new directory on your server. If you call it "test", then you can navigate to www.yoursite.com/test and you should be seeing your index page.

However, it can be messy as a lot of files will be pointing to other files, and you might have to do a lot of editing to get all the files in your test folder referring to each other. Once you have that, you can experiment all you want without affecting your main site.

I've never thought it worth the bother, though. I just make sure I back-up before I edit and go carefully forward.

Board footer